With the appropriate care, your teeth that have had endodontic treatment will last as long as other natural teeth. Yet, a tooth that has received treatment may fail to heal or pain may continue to exist. Sometimes, the pain may occur months or years after treatment. If so, Endodontic Retreatment may be needed.
Improper healing may be caused by:
- Curved or narrow canals were not treated during the initial treatment.
- Complicated canals went undetected during the initial treatment.
- The crown or restoration was not placed within the appropriate amount of time following the procedure.
- The crown or restoration did not prevent saliva from contaminating the inside of the tooth.
In some cases, new problems can influence a tooth that was successfully treated:
- New decay can expose a root canal filling material, causing infection.
- A cracked or loose filling or crown can expose the tooth to new infection.
For more information about Endodontic Retreatment or to schedule a consultation at Parkside Endodontics, call our Sunset SF office at Sunset District SF Office Phone Number 415-566-6900 or call our Downtown San Francisco office at Downtown San Francisco Office Phone Number 415-528-7590.
Once retreatment has been selected as a solution to your problem, we will reopen your tooth to gain access to the root canal filling material. This restorative material will be removed to enable access to the root canal. We will clean your canals and carefully examine the inside of the problematic tooth. Once cleaned, we will fill and seal the canals and place a temporary filling in the tooth.
At this point, you will need to return to your dentist as soon as possible in order to have a new crown or restoration placed on the tooth to restore full functionality.
Patient Reviews for Endodontic Retreatment
No negative comments here except those Novocaine shots still hurt and there should be televisions on the ceiling. From start to finish, top notch service with great team and excellent chairside manners.
- Frances H